Thursday, January 16, 2014

Resolutions & Intentions

We are now 2 weeks into the new year - how are your resolutions coming along?

Are you losing that weight? getting in shape? finally getting organized?

If you haven't been keeping up with your resolutions don't worry, neither have I!  That's because I didn't make any and don't plan to.  I am setting intentions instead.

Every year when the Christmas tree comes down and the decorations are put away I am seized by the urge to get rid of things and pare down.  I am not sure why this happens but I suspect it is the natural consequence of trying to put away Christmas gifts into already crowded spaces.  The simple act of putting the new sweater on the shelf brings to my attention the sweater (or 3) that I just don't wear or let's be honest that I don't even like.  This realization ends with the offending sweater (or sweaters) in the donation pile. 

Occasionally, this "put-away" process leads to a large scale clean out and purge.  This always feels good - out with the old and in with the new.

From a Feng Shui perspective this is the perfect way to start the new year.  I tell my clients that if we want to invite something new into our lives we must first make room for it.  By letting go of what no longer serves us we open up space for the things we do want to come to us.  Maybe this is why so many resolutions fail - we don't make room for them.

Instead of making a resolution in January I spend the month clearing out and making space instead.  In taking my time to clear out the old I can see with greater clarity the something new that I want to manifest in the upcoming year.  Then I set an intention which I ring in with the Chinese New Year.

So, if you are feeling like you need a New Year's resolution do-over, don't worry.  You still have two weeks to clear a path toward your goal and make the year of the wood horse a great one!










No comments:

Post a Comment